Monday, 21 January 2013

Lilac Fairy Workshop

ENB Sleeping Beauty Adult Workshop, London Coliseum - reviewed on 20th January

Daria Klimentova as the Lilac Fairy
Photo: Patrick Baldwin
Company dance artist and director of ENBYouthCo, Holly Noble, took a group of adults, including myself, through their paces in a Sleeping Beauty workshop.

After a Saturday morning trek through the snow to reach the London Coliseum, Noble soon had our bodies working and our muscles warm. After ballet class, we learnt the Lilac Fairy mime, an elegant segment of choreography that explains the ballet’s story to the audience through gestures.
 
To counteract Carabosse’s wicked spell, the Lilac Fairy states: “I love Aurora. You want to kill her – why? Listen to me speaking. Aurora will prick her finger but die, she will not. She will prick her finger and go into a deep sleep, until from far away comes a handsome prince who will kiss her and break the spell.”
 
Whilst I’m not sure my performance could compete with the company’s own Lilac Fairies, including Daria Klimentova and Lauretta Summerscales, it was wonderful to dance centre stage at the London Coliseum. And I shall keep practising my role, just in case English National Ballet wants to cast me in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment